Purton Ships’ Graveyard on the Severn in Gloucestershire

Along a short stretch of the River Severn near Purton in Gloucestershire there are 88 abandoned boats in various stages of decay. The boats were beached at the end of their usefulness on the water between 1909 and the 1970’s in a bid to stop the erosion of the river bank between the river and the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal. The aim appears to have been successful as some boats are now covered by the bank and no longer in the reach of the river’s tides.

 

More information can be found on the Friends of Purton web site: Friends of Purton web site